Thursday, May 2, 2013

Goodbye Tan, Hello U. S. of A.

13 countries and 4 continents later I'm finally back in NYC!... at least until September. It feels so good to drink tap water again, be reunited with the majority of my clothes and belonging, not live out of a backpack, as well as have consistent plumbing.  Things are rather odd being back home, but for the most part, I'm very zen right now. I feel very happy, and I feel in a way complete after having achieved something that's been a life goal of mine for 5 years or more.  I've picked up bits of 2 new languages, adopted an Argentine accent to my Spanish, and I've made countless new friends that I hope to be in touch with, if not also visit, for a very long time to come!

Being home shouldn't feel weird, but of course it does. I get plopped back into my old life, after just experiencing some incredible things. Most of all what's difficult is that I'm in such a tranquil place right now, yet I'm surrounded by tense people living tense lives. I feel that now I have a good global perspective on things. When you go away, and you're surrounded by new people, fellow travelers, and foreigners, you tend to sort of help each other, and take care of each other. Part of this is out of necessity, part of this is because you try to show people the best of you since you'll only be with them for a short period of time. There's no time to fight, or to worry what other people are thinking, there's only time to enjoy the present company and enjoy the moment. Why, I ask, can't it be like this at home? Yes, it's difficult with technology, with 12 different people speaking at you at a time through your phone and internet.. but I have made it a point to try to continue this good will, this happy mood if you may so call it, into my time here in NYC, and hopefully beyond. I realize that I've been passing the time being just polite to people, just nice enough to not be considered rude, but why not be actively nice.  Why shouldn't I hold the open button for someone on the elevator? Yes, it's nicer to be alone, but shoot, who cares? It doesn't take much for me to help someone get to their floor faster. This may be a trivial example, but there's loads of ways to just be a little nicer to people, and it feels good.  It's not easy, but I've been working at it since I've been back.  One thing that will help me is something my friend Sheena introduced me to.  It's called Karri Hour.  It's a random act of kindness towards a stranger, preferably for an hour, in honor of one of her close friends who died far before his time. Check out the website karrihour.com . It keeps me looking for ways to be nice to people, and not in a way that benefits myself even, but in honor of Karri.

On a lighter note, some things that I'll miss and perhaps not miss --- Obviously my tan, which is fading way too quickly! I'm glad some of my friends got to see it.  I'll miss traveling in general, and constantly seeing new things, meeting new people, and trying new foods. I'll miss the excuse, sorry I'm not from here. I'll miss talking about people quickly in English so they don't understand me, or cursing at them under my breath when they heckle me, something that I will on the other hand definitely not miss.  I also won't really miss having to seek out a 7/11 for AC refuge, or a hotel for refuge from the somewhat dirty and authentic lifestyle I was in. I'm very happy I don't have to haggle and bargain any more. It was fun at first but I'm ready for the standard price, even if it's overpriced.  I'll certainly miss the Thai police suits, which were by the way voted sexiest police uniforms in the world. They are skin tight, in the hopes that it will prevent them from gaining weight and becoming less active, attentive, and capable in their work.  It was cool that people didn't steal my flip flops, but I'm happy I don't have to leave my shoes outside every time I enter a building. I'll miss speaking with an Argentine accent, the wine there, Toby our Ethiopian dog, the strong Southeast Asian sunshine, and I'll really miss all my friends that I've made everywhere I went.

I can't really say which place was my favorite. They were all special- all incredible experiences. I do have a better idea now what I want to focus on and specialize in in grad school and that is what the goal was anyway. For more info about this you'll just have to come find me and talk to me :)

Now for some important news, related to grad school. While I was in Addis I heard back from grad schools in early February.  I got into all the ones I applied to except for one.. I did get into my first choice however, and in September, it looks like I'll be starting a 2 year MPA (Masters in Public Administration) degree at the London School of Economics!! That is assuming I pass the mandatory calculus class this summer!  I hate to spread it around so publicly, and jinx myself, but I thought it would be good to tell everyone (if anyone reads this anymore), so no one needs ask me...what's next?

This is in all likelihood my last blog, so thank you everyone who read this and kept up with me! You've saved me a lot of talking for when I see you next! :)

2 comments:

  1. welcome home Ubi!! ( i thought it was about time for me to throw in a comment;)

    ReplyDelete