Thursday, January 24, 2013

Half Way Mark

I can't believe I've already been here over a month!  Time has certainly flown since I arrived on Christmas Day. 

I've tried to figure out why this is and I think it has something to do with the enormous amount of errands and organizing we do on a daily basis, learning new and interesting things every single day, but maybe more importantly not being connected to the high speed of western life through my phone.  There's been festivals and holidays, loads of visitors to chat with and show around, and on clinic days a huge number of patients new and old.  I am certainly being kept busy, and I really like it.  Despite that, the culture here is very laid back, so it's surprisingly easy not to stress too much, a great quality since things rarely run on time or according to plan.  A second plan of action is essential.  I find that this atmosphere and a generally smiling and fun group of people that I work and hang out with have helped me have a seriously more positive outlook on life. The fact that I'm realizing more and more that I may in fact be happier and more relaxed without being in constant contact with people is both unsurprising and slightly worrisome.  It's good to have time completely to myself or to live in the moment, without having to actively ignore the buzzing of a cell phone in order to do so. What will happen back in the states!? Hope a serious bout of reverese culture shock is not in order. This is not to say that I don't really miss talking to my friends and family whenever I want of course!!  But it is a nice change that definitely brings new perspective to the way I see things and can live my life.

The big deal this week was that Ethiopia tied with Zambia in the African Football Cup.  People were practically rioting in the streets, jumping on random cars, honking, and waving the flag all over. (This was just a tie mind you... I can't imagine what will happen if they beat Burkina Faso tomorrow!) Although this past week was relatively relaxed besides this, and there's not too much to update on, I know that the coming two weeks for me will be quite full.  Both Menachem and Sam will be out of the country, and only Sam will be returning in early February, while Menachem continues his med school interviews in the states.  He is being super nice and dropping my computer off at my house so that I can maybe have one before I get home in early June.  For now I'm borrowing someone's or using internet cafes...

But enough of electronics and me... I'm both excited and nervous for the coming weeks.  I always say that it takes me about a month to really feel comfortable in the new place I'm living in and that's true here as well.  I'll have a good amount of friends, and people to hang out with and talk to, even without the roomates. I'm definitely going to miss them not just because they are awesome, but also because I'm going to be seriously running around like a chicken without it's head on (some thing I was slightly sad I didn't see when they killed a couple chickens for Ethiopian christmas) making sure I don't totally mess everything up...  we have a trip of heart patients flying to India soon, and maybe another group going to Ghana for spine surgery.  I'll have to help make sure all the documents, passports, vaccines, and scans are in order for all of them, in addition to making sure the scholarship girls at Unity University are practicing their english with me, and that clinic and post clinic runs smoothly without the expertise of the usual pros, Menachem and Sam.  Yikes! Wish me luck until I update you on how things are going by next week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's wild about the unplugged thing. When G and I drove through South America for a year, we didn't have phones or internet either and had to learn how to live without constant work interruptions and deadlines and to-do lists. I guess it's kinda the same thing. I never thought about your generation feeling like you have to actively ignore your connectivity just to have time to do anything. It'll be hard to decide how to balance that when you return, so enjoy it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa! Sorry about the delayed response... keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete