Thursday, February 14, 2013

Adventures Continue

I can't believe that my time in Addis is coming to an end. I will be leaving here on Monday, and for about two or three weeks will be taking a break from volunteering in order to meet up with friends and travel everywhere from Dubai, to Macchu Picchu and Singapore, before I wind up in Thailand for my next volunteering stint.

I've emailed the organization that I'm supposed to be with there to double check that I'm still on their schedule, but they haven't gotten back to me. This is pretty disconcerting, but the tickets are purchased, and honestly at this point if that doesn't work out I'm not beyond just trying to find other opportunities in different cities in Thailand. Not exclusively of course, but a main reason as to why it's been a real pleasure to volunteer with the JDC in BsAs and Addis is this disorganization of other organizations. The JDC is a lot more together than others I've dealt with, and they have given me a solid and planned structure that is very nice to have in a foreign country.

This week, I took a one day/one night break, and went to the stone carved churches of Lalibella, in the northern region of Ethiopia. I think I deserved it after last weeks craziness, and I think Dr. Hodes agreed. I wish I could have traveled more while I was here, but I'm so glad I got to see these churches! They are similar to Petra, but some just are dug down into the bedrock, rather than into the side of a rock. If anyone ever travels there, a must go place is a restaurant called Ben Abeba.  It is on the side of a cliff, and looks as though Gaudi may have designed it. It is a perfect way to see the sun set over the mountains.  Still, I'm glad I got to visit Gondar and Lalibella, and I would love to return here sometime in the future (especially with my parents, who I think would love it here) so I'll be sure to get the rest of the country then!

My last days here will be bitter sweet. They will be filled with going to clinic, and the usual must do activities. The only really bad thing about not going home for a bit is that I won't really be able to bring anyone coffee!!  I'm afraid that it will spoil. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to make coffee well without the supervision of an Ethiopian anyway haha. Besides that, I hope to take in my last days of Addis, go watch some more traditional dancing, and eat my last bits of enjira.

Although there's some things I definitely won't miss, like the begging, the "hey you faringe" calls, and at times the bureaucracy... I've loved being here so much, and loved the work I've done.  Being here has certainly helped to remind me of the important things in life, (as I've said before) and has given me a perspective that I hope to keep with me forever (sorry for the repetition there.). Recently I've realized however, that while the detachment from technology has been really good for me in this respect, I think it will be nice to be in more contact with the rest of the world, and with more of my friends in particular, especially with this new perspective in mind.  I will definitely miss my life here, but at the same time I'm excited as the adventure of my year continues, and I look forward to exploring more of the world.

As I will be traveling a lot, I am unsure about the blogging I will be able to do, but I will to my best to stay on my weekly timing! 'Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment