Monday, November 19, 2012

Goodbye Buenos Aires!... Hello turkey

Turkey the food that is... not the country.  I know it wouldn't be so odd for me to be going to Turkey, but alas no, I am leaving here tomorrow, and should be arriving in NYC Wednesday in time for turkey day with the family!

I have mixed feelings about leaving of course.  I am excited to be continuing on my world adventures, excited to see my family, but I am also sad to be leaving the people that I've met here, and the city that I've grown to know so well.

This past weekend I was lucky enough for Christine (one of my best friends living close by in Santiago de Chile) to come visit me.  Although I was actually unlucky in that I wound up getting a stomach virus/food poisoning on her first night here, I managed to 'suck it up' more or less and still show her around the whole city.  Not only was it amazing to have her here and to show her all of my favorite places, but it was also a great way for me to see the city one last time before I go.  In addition, I got to go to a lot of places I hadn't had the chance to before, especially this amazing brunch place recommended to me by one of my cousins.

I seem to be basically better now, health wise, and just finished my last day of work at the Baby Help Center.  I can't believe that I won't be going to work there tomorrow!  I am going to miss those little kiddies more than I probably even realize, and I will definitely be missing my co-workers a lot.  They are such fun and wonderful people! Today was like any ordinary day, but at the end, they gave me a little goodbye present and card - a mug with their photos on it, and a sweet sign saying to come back soon.  I definitely intend to keep in touch with everyone, and I would love to come back in a year or two to see how everyone is doing.  I know it's going to be weird to see how much the babies have grown up and changed, but I think it would be a blast. I'm not even sure they'd remember me but that's alright, I will certainly remember all of them.

Tomorrow my flight is at night, but apparently there will be a huge general strike here during the day protesting the Government.  Everyone at work told me to go sleep at the airport tonight in order to make sure I can get there.  Even if I do, I'm not sure the baggage handlers or something wouldn't be on strike as well, so I am going to take my chances and go tomorrow morning before they close the roads. I have survived riots in Moscow, so I'm not too worried about here.... also there's worse things than getting stuck in Buenos Aires for an extra night!

This will most likely therefore be my last post until I receive more updates from the JDC about what I'll be doing in Ethiopia, where I'll be living, and when I'll be going.  Until then, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment