Saturday, September 29, 2012

Palermo, donde vivo

For now a little bit more about my living situation...

As I have said before, I am renting a room from a man named Roberto, who has also agreed to give me weekly 3hr. long spanish lessons for a discount.  The room is fairly large, I have Wi-Fi, and he gives me the run of the house as though it was my own.. somewhat different to the type of home-stay situation I was used to in Moscow.

Some more perks about Roberto- he knows many other foreigners and has connected a good number of  students to each other, some of whom were other JDC JSC volunteers and fellows taking spanish lessons.  He's a very nice man, and has two grown children, as well as a past career in economics.  Certainly this coincides with my interests, and I have asked that our lessons be themed once in a while about history and state of affairs in Argentina.  He's a very nice man, and helped me a lot in the beginning with things like a cell phone, groceries, and sube card (their metro card).  The apartment is quite big, with a terrace over looking Avenida de Santa Fe, a main avenue in the barrio of Palermo.

Palermo itself is divided into a few areas, Palermo SoHo, Viejo, and Hollywood, and I think a small area south of that called Las Canitas is also part of it. Today I let myself sleep in a bit and just walked around the area. It is definitely one of my favorites in Argentina so far.  At night there are trendy little restaurants and bars with rooftop terraces.  By day, and especially on the weekends, the area turns into cute coffee shops, boutique stores, and the squares fill up with artisans selling things like leather products and of course jewelry.

Walking around today I just wanted to take pictures of all the little streets, and all the different buildings no higher than 2 or 3 stories.  As much as the pictures may give you a sense of how things are, the best part is the wonderful smells coming from the restaurants and even the fruit vendors as well (the strawberries I bought today on the way home were awesome!)  I have to keep remind myself that I will be living here for another few months in order not to stop in everywhere to try something! I even went into a wine store where they offered me a free tasting. Will definitely go back there for the food and wine pairings they have on Thursdays!

Excited to celebrate Katina's birthday in a few hours!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to read this blog, and would be...even if it were written in Spanish, Russian or Hungarian. Besos y Abrazos, Tsiluy e Obnimau, Csokollak Olellek -Mum

    ReplyDelete