Thursday, September 13, 2012

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3....

For those of you who know me, tech-y things and blogs have never been my speciality.  For those of you who don't know me that well, if there's anyone who will actually read this that isn't already a friend, you will find all this out quite quickly, in addition to the fact that I can't spell. Apologies there.  If it hadn't been for the support of two of my closest friends, Christine, with her mastery of alliteration, and Ariel, with her literary approval, this blog would not have existed since I'm not even hip enough to come up with an acceptable name.  Yet, after overcoming this first big hurdle, I feel satisfied that I have finally fully committed myself to this blog thing...

After returning from my study abroad in Moscow 2 winters ago, it was difficult for me to answer the question I got from everyone... "So.. How was it?"  While I really wish that I could sum up what it was like to live for four months in a formerly communist country, I found it rather hard to so in a concise manner.  My hope, first and foremost with this blog, is that people who actually are interested in what I'm doing, and how I'm doing, will be able to keep up.  That way, those random stories that do pop up into conversation will make some sort of sense to everyone I speak with when I am back home.

In addition, I feel like a blog will be a good thing to have, a good way to remember my experiences, albeit in a public manner, and of course a lovely way to practice my tech skills and spelling!  In all seriousness though, when I grow up, and hopefully have a 'real job' at an international NGO, I plan to look back on this year, the people I've met and the experiences I've had, and use them to the fullest advantage.  Of course there is that small bit of wishful thinking that someone important will discover my blog and that I will become famous, or some one will write a book about me.... just kidding. I don't want to be too dreamy in this blog. It is not supposed to be my diary. Just a fun way to share my thoughts and adventures, a way to remember, and it may even contain some good advice for anyone who wishes to volunteer for a year abroad, or travel anywhere I wind up going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment