Thursday, September 13, 2012

So what are you doing now that you've graduated..?

Nothing is what I'd like to say, mostly because I find the answer that I give to be unusually long winded and accompanied with dubious looks of the interviewer.  But what better place to explain to the world what it is I am in fact trying to do this year than on my newly created blog.

First a little background- I majored in Government, international relations, or political science, I guess is what it's called at other universities. My ultimate goal, career wise, is to work at an international NGO (non-governmental organization) hopefully based somewhere in Europe (UK or Germany preferred, don't ask why) which deals primarily with humanitarian aid and/or maternal/reproductive health. After interning at a couple of NGOs, a more programatic position is what I'd really prefer.

In order to reach this goal, I almost certainly should attend grad school, something that I will apply for this October/November.  In between graduation and grad school I decided to pace myself, and to take a gap year. I wanted a break, I wanted life experiences, and I wanted to apply when I had my head on straight and was all finished with college.

During this year my aim is to work at different NGO's in different countries and regions.  The plan is to spend 2-3 months in South America, 2-3 months in Africa, 2-3 months in Southeast Asia.  Yes this is broad and general, but it is hopefully how I will finally decide what region or country I really want to devote myself to, and also find out what sorts of things I am good at, and what I need to get improve on.  This way, I can get in there and help people, while having experiences 'in the field' which will be useful to me when I finally get that job.

This summer I have worked odd jobs, and have saved up enough money (I think!) to actually do this crazy scheme.  The process has been long and slightly painful, physically and mentally, not gonna lie, but so far I have been given the opportunity to volunteer for 8 weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina! There are other plans coming along, but I am too superstitious and skeptical to share before tickets are purchased.  While I'm there I plan to blog once a week to every two weeks if things get tricky for whatever reason, and don't worry, I don't want them to be too long. Even this one is a bit much... But, now that I've done two in a row, you probably won't hear from me until after I arrive in BA next week! woohoo!

2 comments: